Understand how SEO works. Follow these steps for immediate results.
15 Proven Steps to SEO Success
In this SEO Tutorial you will learn:
- Why SEO is important and how to use SEO to attract more traffic to your website
- SEO is not ‘free’ traffic, as implementing SEO takes time and like all marketing it is an iterative process
- How to measure what matters
- If you outsource your SEO – understand the principles
- Track progress
- Make realistic judgements
- Focus on conversions as much as traffic – one is useless without the other
- Step by step guide to the basics of SEO
- Do’s and dont’s
- Real examples
SEO is full of myths and bullshit. I’m sure you all receive spam emails promising you the earth for $9 dollars per month. I know I do.
If you outsource your SEO be careful, get references and ask to see live behind the scenes results via Google Analytics or similar tools.
Beware of SEO companies making promises. Ultimately Google decides what it wants to show on page one of their search results not you, not an SEO company.
However, by understanding & implementing best practice SEO you can and will improve your online visibility and get found for what you do, rather than just who you are. Start implementing, start tracking.
Every single page and every single post or product needs to be SEO’d. Search engines retrieve by – relevancy – trust – competition.
If you’re implementing SEO correctly, when you look at your website analytics, you will see that many visitors find you via many different pages not just your brand name and home page. Your home page is there to direct visitors to what’s relevant to them.
Always remember, you don’t have to be the best at what you do to do well with SEO, you just have to be good at SEO.
You’ve only got to look at the fiercely competitive travel sector to see this.
But smaller companies can win big online. If you apply the principles of this SEO Tutorial 🙂
Why do you Need SEO?
You may think that Google, Bing & Yahoo are super smart. And they are. But not as smart as you might think.
The search engines are computers trying to read the code of your website and make sense of it.
Without applying SEO basics, at best, you are missing out on Google & co finding you when someone searches for a service like yours. You haven’t given them enough ‘clues’. Think of SEO as a technique that allows Google to understand what you do.
Google will struggle to retrieve and show your website for the myriad of services that you offer – if you’ve just tossed your whole website into the pile alongside tens of 000’s of similar looking websites & services to yours. Remember it is not human. Without helping Google understand what you do, it’s unlikely to be able to find you. A bit like a vast library with millions of books thrown in without any titles. how would the librarian ever be able to find anything?!?!
Principles of SEO
- Always stay true to your proposition
- Shortcuts rarely work [for long]
- Invest in content marketing
- Use SEO alongside several other marketing tactics
- Over-reliance on one tactic is unhealthy
- Measure progress & plan ahead
- Customer experience – really matters
Responsive Web Design
- Check if your website is mobile friendly here
- If it isn’t don’t bother with SEO until you’ve built an SEO friendly website
- Over 58% of searches are from mobile – a non mobile friendly website says to your customers that you don’t care
- A non mobile friendly website says to search engines that you don’t care
- If you need a new website built we can help
- Don’t bother with SEO until you’ve sorted out any website load speed issues
- Your website needs to load within 4 seconds on mobile & on desktop. You can check your website speed here
- The 2 main culprits of slow website speed are: heavy images, use image compression tools to compress them and slow overcrowded cheap hosting. Get a better host.
- If you’re selling anything online then an SSL certificate is a must it secures communication to & from your website
- If you want to future proof your SEO & re-assure your customers add an SSL certificate to your website now. Most hosts provide these free now.
- SSL security is a positive ranking factor with Google
- Your site will start https instead of http
Let’s Get Started
On Page and off Page SEO
There are 2 core elements to SEO
On page SEO – what you can do to your website
Off page SEO – how other websites and sources can help, links to your website
On Page SEO
On page is important because:
It will help increase website traffic [visitors] and importantly build your brand as you share valuable content. Of course you can share content on your website and social media platforms too. The more places people can find your content the better.
Off Page SEO
Off page SEO is important because:
There are thousands of websites and web pages that state they do what you do. So how does Google know which website to retrieve and display on page one of its search engine results page [SERP]?
If content is similar and other factors are similar it will look at who is linking to your content. A quality link to your content is a ‘vote’ of trust & confidence and that’s what Google is looking for. A quality link would be from an authoritative website with the webpage the link is coming from discussing the subject matter of your web page. Think: quality + relevance.
Look out for our full list of link building ideas coming up.
Measure the progress of all your online marketing with our Monitoring Dashboard.
On Page SEO Basics
- Title tags – 70 characters
- URL SEO friendly links – not too long
- H1, H2 tags – always use in line with content
- Meta descriptions – 120-160 characters
- Alt tags for images – recommended max 5 words
- Content keyword phrases – In the first 100 words & throughout. There’s no need to keyword stuff. I said there’s no need to keyword stuff. It’s just silly.
- Natural language
- Fresh, relevant content
- Content sharing
In SEO terms the title tag is what you see in the browser
Every website page must have a unique title tag, otherwise Google is likely to class this as duplicate content & won’t know which page to display.
Title tag ideal length is 70 characters [varies slightly dependent on desktop/mobile/pixels]
Start with your keywords [phrases that people commonly use to find what your page is about] at the beginning for example:
Emergency Plumber Hereford | 24/7 Call Out | ABC Company
Separate with commas or pipes likes this: |
Google will read each separation in its own right.
Most businesses add their brand name at the end. Though it’s not compulsory. Big brands may use title tags differently – because they are big brands!
Get the complete version of 15 Steps to SEO Success here. Learn how to SEO like a pro. Generate more traffic and leads for your website right now!
SEO Like a Pro - 15 Steps to SEO Success
This tutorial is
Free Step by Step Tutorial PDF Version
Strict no spam policy. Unsubscribe anytime with 1 -click.